The A2A Race for Mercy, set for March 3, is expected to draw more than 1,000 runners from around the area, as well as across the country.
“Literally hundreds of volunteers will be required for the A2A, and there is a job to fit every age and every talent, said Alison Smalley, A2A Race Director.
Here is the list of volunteer opportunities:
- Sponsorship — open to area businesses and individuals
- Packet assembly
- Registration at Expo – assist during race registration and packet pick up at convention center
- Pasta Dinner – assist with planning, set-up, serving and clean-up
- Trash Pick Up – assist with trash pick up along race course
- Stadium Crew – assist with staging, tear-down and clean up of race sites
- Registration at Stadium – assist during race registration and packet pick up at Noble Stadium
- Water/Aid Stations – assist with serving water and/or sport drink to runners along course
- Medical Support – for trained medical professionals to provide assistance if necessary
- Gear Check – collect and transport bags of runners’ clothing, etc. from start lines to stadium
- Spirit Groups – bands, drill teams, cheerleaders, civic clubs, etc. to provide spirit and cheering along course
- Communications – licensed ham radio operators to provide communication along course
- Safety Patrol – For cyclists to patrol race route to provide assistance if necessary
- Course Marshalling – direct runners along race course
- Parking – direct vehicles to proper parking areas at Noble Stadium
- Awards and Finish Line – assist with presentation of medals, etc. at finish line
- After-race Refreshments – stage and serve refreshments to runners at finish line
To volunteer register at www.a2amarathon.com.
Proceeds from the A2A are earmarked for the purchase of equipment for the Cancer Center.