The 17 year study by the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital shows that injuries are up 37 percent.
The study is published in the February 2013 issue of the Journal of Physical Activity and Health.
Other study highlights:
- Sprains/strains were most common types of injuries (52 percent)
- Falls were most common cause of injury (45 percent)
- 4 out of 10 injured dancers were between 15 and 19 years old
Researchers have the following tips for dancers to prevent injuries:
- Stay well hydrated
- Properly warm up & cool down every time
- Concentrate on proper technique
- Get plenty of rest