Historic preservation work is currently underway on the fifth floor of the State Capitol where a large Senate committee room was once located. At some point in the last century, the conference room was converted to office space. There is no record of when that occurred, but now that space is being restored.
While relocating computer cables in connection with the restoration project, a member of the Senate staff discovered an opening to attic space. Several antique light fixtures were found there, and after one was retrieved, it was determined the fixtures had originally been in the Senate Chamber when the building was first completed in 1917.
Today, workers will retrieve the rest of the light fixtures and globes. Dr. Bob Blackburn, Executive Director of the Oklahoma Historical Society will be on hand to examine the fixtures and discuss the importance of the historical preservation of the Capitol as the state approaches the building’s Centennial.