Week 2 will be intriguing.
The second round of non-district play will have arguably the biggest rivalry in the state, along with teams looking to avoid a dreaded 0-2 or potential upsets.
These aren't my rankings of what games I think will be the most competitive, but the most compelling.
1. Sulphur at Davis: The "Murray County War" or "Murray County Bedlam" has turned into a light skirmish in the last few seasons, with most of the shots coming from the Wolves. Davis has hardly had to sweat, winning five consecutive matchups with Sulphur by an average of four touchdowns. Sulphur's last win in the series? A 21-0 victory in 2007. ... This season, the Bulldogs are finally healthy and bring back loads at the skill positions. Senior QB Ryan Rackley had a big opening week (162 yards rushing, 3 TDs; 1 passing TD) in a win against Wynnewood, All-Ardmoreite Super Team RB Nate Johnson had 85 yards, and senior WR/RB Tanner Watson got in the end zone for the first time after missing his entire junior year (knee). ... Davis beat Ringling 39-0 last year, powered by a 55-yard punt return TD by Blake Summers. Summers, now at quarterback, is one of only a handful of returning starters for Davis. ... Davis, ranked No. 1 in 2A by The Associated Press, took down then-Class A No. 1 Ringling last week 34-28.
2. Kingston at Madill: Has Kingston caught up to Madill in the Marshall County Super Bowl? Madill is coming off a come-from-behind 26-21 win against Tishomingo, while Kingston lost narrowly to Dickson 17-16 in Week 1. ... Madill junior running back Colton Clement filled in well for injured starter Christian Gentis, rushing for 129 yards and three touchdowns. All of Clement's scores came in the second half. ... Kingston committed six turnovers in last week's loss. ... Madill defeated Tishomingo for the seventh consecutive meeting in the "Battle of the Washita" in Week 1. ... Madill shut out Kingston 49-0 last season.
3. Tishomingo at Lone Grove: Tishomingo may have been the biggest surprise of Week 1, pushing Madill to the limit late with a 21-7 lead going into the fourth quarter. ... Tish's Devante Lawson was electric in his first start at QB, rushing for 159 yards and a TD and passing for 65 yards. The senior also had an 85-yard INT return for a TD. ... In his varsity debut, sophomore quarterback Grant Harmon had 129 yards passing and 66 rushing in a 61-21 loss to Marlow last week. Harmon had two TDs (1 passing, 1 rushing) in the loss. ... Lone Grove is playing the second of four consecutive home games to open the season. ... Lone Grove defeated Tishomingo 27-19 last season, but Tish was much improved last week after going winless a year ago.
4. Elgin at Plainview: Will the momentum carry over for Plainview? The Indians were the better team in a 19-14 win at Tuttle in Week 1. Now, it's about avoiding complacency at Homecoming as the Indians have vaulted to No. 7 in Class 3A. ... Class 4A Elgin (1-0) defeated Class A Rush Springs 21-7 in Week 1. ... Senior RB Austin Carrera ran for 129 yards and two touchdowns last week against Tuttle. Senior QB Taber Jordan added a 31-yard rushing touchdown, which proved to be the game-winner, in the fourth quarter. ... Elgin plays a brutal District 4A-1 schedule that features three teams ranked in the top 10 (Weatherford, Clinton and Anadarko). The Owls also play Tuttle in Week 3. ... The game is the first home game for Plainview since undergoing stadium renovations to the home bleachers, press box and concessions, part of a $3.9-million dollar bond issue.
5. Durant at Ardmore: Ardmore opens a four-game home stretch with a Durant team it's owned in recent seasons. Ardmore, ranked No. 8 in Class 5A, defeated Durant 27-12 last season and the Tigers' are improved on both sides of the ball coming into Friday. ... Sophomore QB Clay Atwood impressed against Ada, rushing for two TDs and passing for 112 yards. Atwood practiced sparingly this week (ankle). ... Ardmore got touchdowns on offense, defense and special teams against Ada in a 36-21 win last week. O.J. Walker had a 90-yard kickoff return score and Tevin Bowman added an 80-yard fumble recovery TD. ... Sophomores accounted for four out of Ardmore's five TDs last week. Senior RB Jamarcus Mills had the other on a 2-yard TD run. ... Poteau defeated Durant in a 43-42 shootout in Week 1.
Follow Horne on Twitter: @ekhorneARD