|
|
|
The Daily Ardmoreite
  • Red Cross offers home heating safety tips

    • email print
  • House fires tend to rise during these cold temperatures. Here are some safety tips:
     
    • All heaters need space. Keep all things that can burn (paper, matches, bedding, furniture, clothing, carpets, and rugs) at least three feet away from heating equipment.
     
    • Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended, and use a glass or metal fire screen to keep fire and embers in the fireplace.
     
    • Never use a cooking range or oven to heat your home.
     
    • Turn off portable space heaters every time you leave the room or go to sleep.
     
    • Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, and chimneys inspected annually by a professional, and cleaned if necessary.
     
    • If you must use a space heater, place it on a level, hard and nonflammable surface (such as ceramic tile floor), not on rugs, or carpets or near bedding or drapes. Plug power cords directly into outlets and never into an extension cord.
      • calendar