The No. 3 Oklahoma men’s tennis team is just one win away from their third Big 12 title in as many years.
After falling to the Longhorns 4-3 on March 28, the Sooners rolled to an easy 4-0 victory in the semifinals of the Big 12 Championship at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center.
“I think our guys did a really good job with coming out with energy today and played really disciplined tennis, especially when it got a little breezy," OU head coach John Roddick said. "That was a big improvement over some of the matches that we’ve had where we’ve either lost or made them way tougher than maybe they should have been and its to nice to see that because in tournament play you have to play everyday, so finishing earlier gives us time to rest.”
In doubles play, the Spanish tandem of Guillermo Alcorta and Axel Alvarez rolled to an easy 8-3 win over Soren Hess-Olesen and Sudanwa Sitaram on court two. Clinching the point for Oklahoma was freshman Andrew Harris and junior Dane Webb with an 8-5 victory at the No. 1 spot.
Alvarez struck first for the Sooners in singles with a 6-2, 6-2 straight set victory over Adrien Berkowicz at the No. 2 position to put the Sooners up 2-0. Austin Siegel added to the lead with a 6-2, 6-4 victory on court five.
Clinching the match for Oklahoma was Andrew Harris. After battling to a tiebreaker in the first set, the freshman sailed to a 6-1 second set victory to win in straight sets giving Oklahoma the four points needed to end the match.
The Sooners will face Baylor in the championship match Sunday, April 27, at 12 p.m. This is the fourth year in a row that Oklahoma has made it to the championship and the third straight year that Roddick's squad will face Baylor.
OKLAHOMA 4 TEXAS 0
1. Webb/Harris (OU) def. Berkowicz/Goldhoff (UT) 8-5
2. Alvarez/Alcorta (OU) def. Hess-Olesen/Sitaram (UT) 8-3
3. Siributwong/ Papac (OU) vs. Holiner/Lewis (UT), unfinished
Order of Finish: 2, 1
1. Guillermo Alcorta (OU) Soren Hess-Olesen (UT), unfinished
2. Axel Alvarez (OU) def. Adrien Berkowicz (UT) 6-2, 6-2
3. Andrew Harris (OU) def. George Goldhoff (UT) 7-6, 6-1
4. Dane Webb (OU) Nick Naumann (UT), unfinished
5. Austin Siegel (OU) def. Clement Horns (UT) 6-2, 6-4
6. Alex Ghilea (OU) David Holiner (UT), unfinished
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 3