An Ardmore police sergeant charged with poisoning dogs in his neighborhood made an initial appearance Wednesday afternoon in Carter County District Court.

Barry Antwine appeared with his attorney, David Slane, before Special District Judge Thomas Baldwin. Antwine is charged with laying out poison for domestic animals. Baldwin set the case for 2 p.m. on the Aug. 5 disposition docket in front of Associate District Judge Lee Card.

The judge ordered Antwine released on a personal recognizance bond pending the outcome of the case. However, the officer did have to undergo book-in procedures on the misdemeanor charge at the Carter County Detention Center following his court appearance.

Antwine is accused of placing “a substance in a Cool Whip bowl that contained ethylene glycol (antifreeze) knowing the same to be poisonous to dogs, and placed said bowl outside of his residence but on his property with the intent that it be taken by domestic animals roaming in the neighborhood ...” The charge revolves around an incident that occurred in April. District Attorney Craig Ladd filed the charge on May 28, based on an investigation conducted by DA Investigator Marc Sanders. The investigation examined allegations made by residents of the Hickory Ridge housing addition where Antwine lives.

Antwine was not arrested at the time the charge was filed. Instead, Ladd said Antwine had been issued a summons to appear in court Wednesday.

At the time the charge was filed, APD Chief Ken Grace said he requested the district attorney’s office handle the probe into the allegations when they were launched just days after a number of neighborhood dogs died. Grace said he made the request “so there would be no question of impropriety, since he was an officer with this department.” The chief also said Antwine was immediately placed on leave pending the outcome of the inquiry. Wednesday, Antwine remained on leave from the APD Patrol Division where he had been serving on the evening shift.

When Antwine appears in court Aug. 5, he will have the opportunity to either enter a plea in the case or request a trial.

If convicted, the officer could face up to a year in the county jail and/or a fine of $500.