BROKEN BOW — One step forward, three steps back.

BROKEN BOW — One step forward, three steps back.

Plainview’s season opener Friday night fell right into this process. The Indians struggled offensively in the first half, and costly mistakes ultimately doomed them on the night.

Their opponents, the Broken Bow Savages, had very little trouble as they rolled to a 37-14 victory at Memorial Stadium.

While the Indians did play a much more controlled second half, it was a very un-Plainview like first half which set the tone for the evening.

30 first half points were scored by the Savages, with 23 of them coming after an Indians mistake on the offensive side of the ball.

“I think we just ran into a good team tonight,” Plainview coach Joe Price said. “It’s hard to be really prepared for what the other team is going to do at this time of the year. There were a lot of unknowns coming into this game for us. That’s really not a good excuse.”

“We’ve just got to go out there and execute, and we didn’t do that good enough.”

After the Indians had stuffed BBHS on a 4th and goal at the one yard line, the Indians had a bad snap go out of the end zone, making it 9-0 at the 3:11 mark of the first.

On the ensuing possession for the Savages, they scored again when  Quinton Rodgers ran in from five yards out, putting Broken Bow up 16-0 with 34.4 seconds left in the first quarter.

PHS’ next time out with the ball resulted in a turnover, as Spencer Somerville was picked off.

Broken Bow would drive down the field yet again, scoring another touchdown courtesy of Rodgers, as the lead was 22-0 following a blocked extra point. 

Near the end of the first half, the Indians gifted Broken Bow solid field position on the 37-yard line followed a bad snap on an attempted punt.

The boys in black and gold were more than happy to take advantage as Hunter Gray connected with J.J. Harris for a four-yard touchdown pass. After Jordan Kelly added the two-point conversion, the Savages led 30-0 going into halftime.

As the second half began, hope began to spring up for Plainview.

On the first offensive drive of the third quarter, the Indians needed just four plays as Somerville connected with Jermaine Scallion down the sidelines for a 23-yard touchdown.

The extra point made it 30-7 with 8:41 left in the third.

PHS looked as though it had shifted the momentum in its favor when the Indians blocked a Savages punt, giving them field position at the BB 34 yard line to start its  next drive.

Unfortunately, a costly fumble dashed any hopes the Indians had of scoring any points, thus cutting the deficit further.

Owens did add one more touchdown in the fourth for Broken Bow to make it 37-7, before Somerville also collected his second TD pass of the night, this time from 35 yards out to Blake Nowell with 6:50 left in the fourth.

The night ended with some more disappointing news, as sophomore standout Tyson Al-Jbour didn’t play the majority of the second half due to an injury. 

He was seen being carried to the locker room by his teammates after the game. Coach Price said he wasn’t aware of his condition, but would know sometime next week. 

“We’ve just got to build on what we did in the second half,” Price said. “Our kids need to make sure they get the things corrected that they need to get corrected. I have no idea what is wrong with Tyson’s leg, we’ll just have to wait and see what the evaluation says and go from there.”

Somerville finished the evening with 134 yards passing with two touchdowns, including 70 yards rushing on the evening.

Plainview (0-1) will be at home this Friday night taking on Eglin.