LAWTON — In simple terms, Ardmore’s game against Lawton MacArthur Friday night could be summed up in one phrase.

LAWTON — In simple terms,  Ardmore’s game against Lawton MacArthur Friday night could be summed up in one phrase.

Anything that could go wrong, did go wrong.

Facing a hostile environment and a motivated Highlanders squad, the No. 2 Tigers suffered a 36-7 defeat at Cameron Stadium, snapping their six-game winning streak.

Despite the loss, AHS was already assured of the No. 1 seed in the playoffs out of district 5A-1.

Ardmore (8-2, 6-1) will face Guthrie at 7:30 p.m. Friday night at Noble Stadium in the opening round of the postseason. MacArthur meanwhile will be the No. 4 seed in the playoffs, facing off with No. 1 Carl Albert next week in Midwest City.

“Tonight was very frustrating,” Ardmore coach Josh Newby said. “We’ve got to be better starting on Monday afternoon, because we have a good Guthrie team staring us in the face.”

“We knew MacArthur was going to be intense tonight given they have a lot of seniors, and this was their Senior Night,” Newby added. “They were more prepared than we were. I’ll take the blame for this loss. We weren’t prepared like we should have been this week and I’ll take the responsibility for that.”

Just when it looked like Ardmore was going to get into a groove in the first quarter, the rug was pulled out from under them, literally.

After rushing for 47-yards, and putting his team at the Highlanders 3-yard line, junior quarterback Tero Roberts came off the field following a hard tackle on his ankle. Creed Cox then stepped in and took over under center the rest of the contest.

Chantz Scurry then punched it in from one yard out to give the Tigers a 7-0 lead following the extra point.

However, Highlanders running back Nick Mahan was ready to take advantage.

Mahan got the first of his four touchdowns at the 5:00 mark of the first quarter, tying the game at 7-7.

Then with 22 seconds left in the opening frame, Mahan struck again, this time from 18 yards out to give MacArthur a 14-7 advantage.

With less than four minutes to go before halftime, MHS piled on the misery for Ardmore, and it was Mahan once again with his third touchdown of the game from 10-yards out.

The Highlanders then converted a two-point conversion to lead 22-7.

Ardmore was forced into a three-and-out on its next possession, before MacArthur, and Mahan got one more strike in before halftime.

A 2-yard score with 29 seconds left in the first half put Ardmore in a 29-7 halftime deficit.

The 22-points were the biggest obstacle a Tigers team has faced at halftime this season, and the fifth time this season Ardmore was down at the half.

On the second drive of the third quarter for the Tigers, it looked as though hope was returning for the Ardmore offense.

A strong drive brought AHS to the Highlanders 7-yard line with a 4th and 1 opportunity.

Unfortunately, the MacArthur defense stuffed the Tigers rushing attack for a four-yard loss, turning the ball over.

MacArthur began the fourth quarter with JR Winningham scoring from three-yards out to make it 36-7.

Ardmore was held to its lowest point total since 2013, and its lowest offensive output this season with just 183 yards.

Mahon totaled 39 carries for a career-high 247 yards for the Highlanders.

Scurry finished with a total of 40 yards on the ground rushing for the Tigers, while Cameron Petties totaled 35 yards on the ground for Ardmore.