Ardmore Police responded to an area business Saturday evening after the parents of a 4-year-old boy reported that their child had been stuck by a used syringe on a shelf in the business.

According to police reports, the child’s parent told the reporting officer that the child had been playing hide-and-seek while the family was shopping when they heard the child yell, and kick boxes off the shelf. The report says that when the child stood up he scraped his back on the shelf and later began acting strange. 

According to the report, the child told the parent that there was something on the shelf “that you can get from the doctor’s office.”

The report states that after investigating the shelf, the parent found an uncapped syringe and observed the child rubbing his arm where they noticed a new scratch.

According to the report, the responding officer seized the syringe and administered a field testing kit that returned a positive result for methamphetamine. The child was then taken to an area hospital to determine a possible course of treatment. 

“We went to what we thought was a family-friendly (store) and we are still in shock over what happened. Our 4-year-old son has forever lost part of his innocence. What happened is appalling,” the parent said in a statement to The Ardmoreite.

APD Assistant Chief Kevin Norris called the incident rare, citing the report as the first he’s aware of in the city.

“I can’t remember, to my knowledge, this ever happening to a child in Ardmore,” Norris said. “If something like that should happen to you, you definitely need to call the police, but you also need to get your child to the emergency room or to a doctor. Don’t go home, go straight to a doctor or call for an ambulance because the contents of the syringe needs to be tested and the syringe itself probably needs to be sent off for testing. Unfortunately, if you don’t know who the syringe belongs too, medical professionals are going to want to do blood tests to make sure you don’t acquire any communicable diseases.”

Norris also encouraged parents and guardians to take extra precautions when visiting public places. 

“If you’re taking your child out in public areas, you want to keep them within arms reach and watch what your child is doing. If they are reaching into an area you can’t see, you might want to tell them to stop and don’t let them reach into trash cans, you know how kids get into everything,” Norris said. “Don’t let them go into bathrooms by themselves. A lot of times people will go into bathrooms to use the syringe and then leave them in the bathrooms. It’s always just a good idea to keep children as close to you as you can so you can see what they are doing.”