DAVIS — It took over four quarters for the Wolves to take their first lead in the bout between Class 2A heavyweights Davis and undefeated Holland Hall.

DAVIS — It took over four quarters for the Wolves to take their first lead in the bout between Class 2A heavyweights Davis and undefeated Holland Hall.

On the second play of overtime, Davis receiver Payton Webber darted against the grain of the Holland Hall defense on a reverse to put the Wolves up 28-21. 

The Dutch would respond two plays later, but as Holland Hall kicker Alex Felkins’ kick to tie the game in overtime wobbled wide-right, it officially became red Friday in Davis as the Wolves survived 28-27 at Wolf Field in the state quarterfinals.

“I’ve been in a lot of these games, but I don’t know how many more I have left in me,”  Davis coach Jody Weber said. “I hated it all week because I knew it was going to be a nail biter, I knew we were going to have a close football game and I knew it was going to come down to something last minute. But like they always do in Davis, the kids just kept battling.”

The Wolves (10-2) advance to face the Washington Warriors (11-2) in the state semifinals at 7 p.m. Saturday at Moore High School.

The Wolves are in the state semifinals for the first time since 2014.

Payton Webber, who spent the majority of the regular season at the helm of the Wolves offense when senior quarterback Briston Summers went down with a broken collarbone, adjusted to his new role in a big way, Friday. 

The sophomore put his fingerprints all over the game with an interception, two key receptions for 44 yards and the eventual game sealing touchdown rush in overtime.  

“It was just a nailbiter and we came through when it counted,” Webber said. “All this hard work we put in over the summer and throughout the season, it paid off.”

The matchup between Holland Hall’s high powered spread offense and Davis’ tough nosed wishbone attack proved to be a stalemate for most of the game. 

With every Holland Hall touchdown, Davis came up with an answer.

Holland Hall struck first, marching 79 yards to take a 7-0 lead in the first quarter, but the Wolves responded with an 80-yard touchdown drive of their own. 

Summers sliced into the endzone from two yards out to bring the game even at 7-7. 

Summers finished the game with 135 yards and a touchdown on 30 carries in addition to passing for 56 yards and an interception. 

“We just kept playing and we never gave up,” Davis quarterback Briston Summers said. 

“They came in undefeated and we knew they were good. We just kept playing and kept hitting them and it eventually paid off for us.”

Holland Hall pulled ahead on the next drive. The Davis defense had the Dutch in a third and long situation, but freshman quarterback Wallace Clark connected with Corbin Daniels on a 37-yard jump ball, later teeing up Joseph Smith for a 4-yard touchdown rush.

But once again the Wolves responded with another 80-yard scoring drive. Running back Blake Neal kept the drive alive on a critical third down, carrying the ball 21 yards deep into Dutch territory. 

Four plays later, in another critical third down situation, Summers appeared to be wrapped up behind the line of scrimmage, but found Neal with a late pitch that resulted in a 10-yard touchdown carry for the Davis running back. 

“I just got wrapped up and I was still on my feet and out of the corner of my I saw him open and waiting on it and I somehow got it there,” Summers said. 

After a missed extra point, Holland Hall went into halftime with a 14-13 lead.

Holland Hall took an eight point lead on their first drive of the third quarter. 

The Dutch capped off a 52-yard scoring drive with a 19-yard touchdown rush by John Connor to give Holland Hall a 21-13 lead. 

Davis would pull even on the next possession. Summers found Payton Webber on a 38-yard reception up the seams of the Holland Hall defense, then the Davis quarterback carried the ball five yards for a touchdown. Summers later found tight end Gunner Arms on the two-point conversion to bring the game to 21-21.

But by the fourth quarter, both the Holland Hall and Davis defenses woke up in a big way, transforming the game into a defensive slugfest.

After trading four consecutive punts, Davis appeared to be marching towards a game winning drive late in the fourth quarter. 

But after bringing the ball to the Holland Hall 32 yard line, Holland Hall’s Corbin Daniels intercepted Summers giving the Dutch one final shot to win the game in regulation.

Once again though, the Wolves defense stiffened its spine, forcing a three and out after Davis’ Billy Boudreaux blew up Corbin Daniels on a potential deep ball on third down to force overtime.

“Our defense really stepped up,” Summers said. “That’s probably the best our defense has played all year.”

Cue the Payton Webber reverse and the ill fated extra point for Holland Hall and Davis escaped with a final score of 28-27.

“I sure am proud of our football team and our community,” Weber said. “They all showed up today. I can’t even single a kid out, they all played so good collectively.”