Need some ideas on how to relax and have fun this weekend? Check out these suggestions. If you know if anything happening around town, please leave a comment.
1. It’s a weekend of remakes and sequels at the theater: “Conan the Barbarian” returns in an R-rated film starring Jason Momoa; the Spy Kids are back in “Spy Kids: All the Time in the World in 4D,” rated PG; and a new version of “Fright Night” is out, starring Colin Farrell (rated R).
2. Friday is National Aviation Day, a holiday that celebrates Orville Wright (whose birthday it is) and aircraft. Many museums and other places will be holding special events, so check the newspaper for event listings.
3. On Aug. 21, 1959, Hawaii became the 50th state. In honor of the Aloha State’s birthday, why not hold a Hawaii-themed party? You could eat pineapple, wear leis and dance the hula. Or if you’ve got money to burn, head to Hawaii itself!
4. Sunday is Senior Citizens Day, a day that’s designed to get people interacting with seniors. You could spend some time with an older relative, visit a local nursing home or write a poem for a senior (it’s also Poet’s Day) – anything you can think of.
5. School starts soon for most districts, so make the most of the last of your summer this weekend. Head to the pool or beach, go to a ballgame, ride your bike, go fly a kite – just take some time to appreciate the season.
GateHouse News Service