The 36th-ranked Oklahoma women’s tennis team won its third match in a row Saturday with a 5-2 victory against the Wichita State Shockers at the Headington Family Tennis Center
The Sooners won the doubles point courtesy of fast starts at No. 1 and No. 2. The freshman duo of Lily Miyazaki and Simran Sethi took No. 2 doubles in dominating fashion defeating Julia Schiller and Gabriela Porubin 6-1. Sophomore Morgan Chumney and junior Emma Devine finished the doubles point over Lucia Kovalova and Rebecca Pedrazzi 6-3 after leading 4-1.
At No. 1 singles, Lily Miyazaki continued her stellar run by defeating Julia Schiller 6-3, 7-6 to improve to 6-1 on the season. After falling behind 5-3 in the second set, Miyazaki stormed back and eventually won a marathon 14-12 tiebreak to score the Sooners their third win and point.
“Lily seemed to be in control of that match for a long time and I don’t know how many set points she saved in that match, maybe six,” said OU head coach David Mullins. “The way she played those points is phenomenal for a freshman.”
Two freshmen won three set matches for the Sooners. Sethi defeated Rebecca Pedrazzi 7-5, 4-6, 6-4 at No. 2 singles. Freshman Christiana Brigante also won a three-set match to give the Sooners their fourth win to clinch the match. After losing the first set, she came back to defeat Lucia Kovalova 3-6, 7-5, 6-4.
“We were playing most of our tennis through the outside of the court and we just switched to actually playing through the girl’s strength,” said Mullins. “Christie executed that game plan really well and ultimately that changed the course of that match and we started feeling more comfortable with it.”
Junior Zita Engbroks won in impressive fashion by defeating Aleksandra Trifunovic 6-1, 6-0 at No. 6 singles.
1. Lily Miyazaki (OU) def. Julia Schiller (WSU) 6-3, 7-6-12)
2. Simran Sethi (OU) def. Rebecca Pedrazzi (WSU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
3. Gabriela Porubin (WSU) def. Abbi Melrose (OU) 7-5, 7-6
4. Abby Stevens (WSU) def. Morgan Chumney (OU) 6-3, 7-6
5. Christiana Brigante (OU) def. Lucia Kovalova (WSU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
6. Zita Engbroks (OU) def. Aleksandra Trifunovic (WSU) 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish
6, 4, 1, 5*, 3, 2
1. Chumney/Devine (OU) def. Kovalova/Pedrazzi (WSU) 6-3
2. Miyazaki/Sethi (OU) def. Schiller/Porubin (WSU) 6-1
3. Brigante/Engbroks (OU) DNF Pump/Trifunovic (WSU) 4-4
Order of Finish:
The Sooners get right back into action Sunday at noon against the 32nd-ranked Tulsa Golden Hurricane. The match will be played indoors at the Gregg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion.