1. The Chickasaw Nation will host a Native American Art Market from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday on the grounds of the historic capitol in Tishomingo. Visitors should expect to find handmade arts and crafts from Southeastern and Woodlands Native American artists.
2. The dinosaurs are coming to Hardy Murphy Coliseum Saturday and Sunday. T. Rex Planet is a fun filled family event designed for all ages. Visitors will learn about a variety of dinosaurs, as well as take part in a paleontologist dig. Kids will enjoy the dinosaur-themed inflatable bounce houses, face painting and more.
3. Tishomingo Summer Nights returns to downtown Tishomingo tonight. This weeks event is titled “Night at the Races” and honors Charlie Locke for his service to the community. There will be remote control car races, hot wheels race, cardboard box races and more. There will also be a free 1 mile fun walk at Tishomingo Middle School at 6 p.m. The free walk is called Back-2-School and will end at the Johnston County Library, where refreshments will be served.
4. The 69th Hereford Heaven Stampede begins at the Murray County Fairgrounds at 8 p.m. tonight and continues at 8 p.m. Saturday. Rodeo fans will watch competition in bareback, ranch bronc, calf roping, team roping, barrel racing, breakaway roping and bull riding.
5. This Saturday marks the annual Rush Springs Watermelon Festival. The event is a tradition each August and brings about 30,000 people to the Grady County town. The daylong watermelon spectacular features an array of watermelon-themes activities, such as a seed-spitting contest and Watermelon 5K. Other events include live music, local food vendors, carnival rides and free watermelon to nibble on.