Ardmore Deputy Police Chief Kevin Norris says a standoff at a local business Tuesday night ended with the best possible outcome — “It was resolved peacefully, no one was injured, and the suspects were apprehended.”
Ardmore police responded about 9 p.m. to The Barber Shop, also known as the Pit Stop, located at 805 W. Main St.
“Dispatch received a call about a suspicious person and officers were en route when a second call came in reporting it was believed the owner of the business was being held against his will by a black man with a gun,” Norris said.
Upon arrival lights were on inside the business but officers could not confirm activity inside. A perimeter was established and within minutes Lt. Barry Antwine talked with a witness.
“Lt. Antwine was able to
confirm through a face-to-face interview with one of the reporting parties that there was a male inside who was ‘wigging out with a gun,’” Norris said, adding acting on Antwine’s information he activated APD SWAT and hostage negotiators. “We also received information about the same time that another person — a woman, identified as Kellie Lehman, was inside the building and as many as five additional people could be inside.”
Efforts to contact those inside through cell phone calls were unsuccessful. Officers also attempted contact via a public address system with no response.
“At that point we deployed distraction devices and again attempted contact with PA system without results. We deployed additional distraction devices and the owner of the business, Jerry Wilson came out. He was detained, questioned and he confirmed there were two people inside and at least one firearm.”
Efforts continued to convince the male, identified as Nezjoneil Jones and Lehman to surrender. At 11:51 p.m. Norris said the pair “exited the business” and were immediately detained.
“The building was searched and a weapon was found, as well as drug paraphernalia,” Norris said. “Both Jones and Lehman were booked into the Carter County Detention Center pending charges of possession of a firearm after former conviction.”
A 48-hour affidavit was obtained Wednesday as the investigation continued. Both Jones and Lehman were labeled as uncooperative.
“We will be sending our reports to the district attorney’s office for review. It’s possible kidnapping or other charges could be added to the charges,” Norris said.
The deputy chief praised the APD Patrol Division for their actions, as well as efforts of SWAT and the hostage negotiators.
“We had Southern Oklahoma Ambulance Service on standby and we appreciated SOAS’ assistance. Also, while there were no Carter County deputies on scene they were on ‘available status’ and we appreciated knowing they could be called if needed,” Norris said.
Both Jones, 37,  and Lehman, 39, have criminal histories that include drug convictions in Carter County. It is possible they could make initial appearances in Carter County District Court today.