A longtime romance hit a rough spot on the road to true love Saturday when an Ardmore man’s girlfriend refused to babysit his daughter and he retaliated by assaulting and kidnapping her.
Capt. Keith Ingle, Ardmore Police Department, said police responded to a report of a woman and child barricaded inside a southwest side residence in the unit block of NW Ltd. Trey Fish, who was waiting outside the residence, attempted to flee when he realized officers were on the scene. He was captured following a short chase. The victim sustained minor injuries. Fish’s child was unharmed.
“They (Fish and victim) had been dating for about a year. He wanted her to take care of his child and when she refused he kidnapped her at gunpoint and drove her all over town with his child in the car. She (victim) finally convinced him the baby needed to use the bathroom and he drove back to the house. Once she and the child were inside she locked all the doors and called us,” Ingle said.
Following his arrest, Fish was booked into the Carter County Detention Center. Monday, District Attorney Craig Ladd filed two felonies — kidnapping and feloniously
 pointing a firearm against the 23-year-old. The charges accuse Fish of confining the victim against her will and using a Glock 22 to threaten her. If convicted, he faces up to 20 years in prison on the kidnapping charge and up to 10 years behind bars on the firearms charge.
But the case also includes two additional charges. Court records indicate the district attorney also filed a pair of misdemeanors. In the first misdemeanor, Fish is accused of domestic assault and battery in the presence of a minor by biting the victim on the lips. The second misdemeanor revolves around his unsuccessful attempt to obstruct an officer by running from the officer and then “kicking and beating the door of the police car.” Convictions on those charges each carry up to a year in jail and fines ranging from $500 to $5,000.
Fish made an initial appearance in district court in front of Special District Judge Carson Brooks Monday. Bond was set at $250,000. In addition, the judge stipulated Fish is to have no contact with the victim or go within 1,000 feet of her home or office. Further stipulations include being outfitted with an ankle monitor if bond is posted.
Late Tuesday, the local man remained jailed in the CCDC.
A case conference is set for Jan. 6.