A burglary suspect’s, “my dog did it,” story may have gotten him points for inventiveness early Sunday but it didn’t keep him from going to jail.
Capt. Keith Ingle, Ardmore Police Department Criminal Investigation Division, said patrol Officer Lacie Collier responded about 8:15 a.m. to a burglary-in-progress report at a house located in the 500 block of H Street NE. Before Collier arrived the male suspect had fled.
However, within minutes Collier found Michael Douglas, who matched the description of the burglar in the 700 block of I Street NE. The victim subsequently identified Douglas as the uninvited guest she had discovered inside her home and the man who had fled with electronics and food that didn’t belong to him.
But the 59-year-old suspect told the officer his uninvited appearance in the victim’s home wasn’t his fault and he certainly didn’t burglarize the residence while he was inside. Douglas said he had a perfectly reasonable explanation for what had been misconstrued as a crime. He said he was simply out for an early Sunday morning walk with his four dogs when one of them “got away” from him. The dog not only managed to run to the victim’s house, it opened a closed door, ran inside and closed the door. Douglas asserted he only went into the house to claim his errant dog.
Unfortunately there were a number of inconsistencies with Douglas’ colorful account of his efforts to retrieve his dog. Starting with the number of bow wows he claimed were with him.
Ingle said when Collier located Douglas he did have a single dog with him. But, he couldn’t seem to explain the mysterious disappearance of the other three canines he said he had been walking just minutes earlier. Apparently out of imaginative stories, Ingle said Douglas made a last stand attempt to intimidate the officer with the dog. When that failed he was arrested without incident.
Douglas went to jail. The dog? Ingle said the dog was placed inside the fenced yard at Douglas’ residence and is under the care of others living in the household.
Tuesday a formal charge of first-degree burglary was filed against Douglas by the district attorney’s office. By early afternoon he had made an initial appearance in Carter County District Court. Special District Judge Carson Brooks set a $50,000 bond on the charge and set a case conference for Feb. 23. Douglas remains jailed pending posting bond and/or the outcome of the case.