An adult and a child died and four others escaped with minor injuries Wednesday night when the Martin Luther King Boulevard house they were occupying burned.

Jason Woydziak, Ardmore Fire Department public information officer, identified the deceased as 6-year-old Jerry Williamson Jr. and 73-year-old Georgia Mae Douglas.

Woydziak said the fire was reported about 10:30 p.m. at 1106 MLK Blvd. Woydziak said firefighters had the flames “under control” in about 10 minutes.

“The cause of the fire was a space heater in the living room being run by an extension cord. It appears the cord overheated and caught fire,” Woydziak said.

Damages were described as “total loss.”