SULPHUR — On Thursday morning, it wasn’t so much about the early bird getting the worm.

SULPHUR — On Thursday morning, it wasn’t so much about the early bird getting the worm.

It was more about the quicker team getting the victory.

The Oklahoma School for the Deaf Indians tried their best to slow down the Bray-Doyle Donkeys in the morning sunlight, but eventually B-D was too much for OSD, as they won 46-0 in a game which was stopped with just over five minutes left in the third quarter.

“We’re trying to improve a little more with every game we play,” OSD coach Lawson Pair said. “As I’ve said before, this is the youngest squad we have had in a long time, and it’s the youngest team I’ve had in 25 years of coaching.”

“Our goal is to continue to improve, and to keep making tackles out there,” Pair added. 

“As long as we’re doing that I’m happy. We’ve beaten our share of hearing teams in the past, and I don’t think ears play football. Our kids are going to keep improving and that’s all that matters to me.”

Bray-Doyle came out of the gates early in the first quarter, jumping out to an 8-0 lead in the first quarter.

After stopping the Indians on their next offensive drive, the Donkeys struck again, this time from Dalton Whitehead who scored from 12-yards out to make it 16-0 after the two-point conversion with 6:43 remaining in the first quarter.

The Indians were stalled on their next drive, which was made even worse when a bad snap on fourth down gave B-D the ball inside the five yard-line.

It was another Donkeys touchdown just one point later followed by a two-point conversion, putting the deficit at 24-0.

Things started to look promising for the Indians when they received the ball next.

Dylan Evans appeared to have given OSD a much needed spark on a crucial fourth down play, when he scurried for the first down inside the Donkey’s 20-yard line after a big gain.

Unfortunately, the long run was called back due to an illegal procedure penalty on OSD, which was then followed by a blocked punt on the next down.

However, Evans made another big play on the defensive end, as he picked off Donkeys quarterback Justin Miller on the first play from scrimmage to stop B-D’s momentum off the blocked punt.

Following a three and out however, the deficit for the Indians was expanded to 32-0 at the end of the first quarter.

OSD was unlucky not to have gotten on the board before the end of the first half as the Indians were driving down the field thanks to some big runs by Tyler Manek.

The clock ultimately counted out the Indians, leaving them in a 38-0 hole going into the locker room.

Bray-Doyle finished off the game in the third quarter with a score followed by another two-point conversion.

The OSD Indians (0-3) will be off next week before hitting the road on Sept. 28 for a game against the Kansas School for the Deaf in Topeka.