An old saying in sports is act like you have been there before.

An old saying in sports is act like you have been there before.

This season, the Ardmore Tigers know how to act when facing a halftime deficit.

For the fourth time this season, AHS had its backs against the wall going into the break, but once again, they showed their true colors in the second half, pulling out a dramatic 20-14 victory over Altus at Noble Stadium on Pink-Out night.

Two big players made the difference in the second half for the Tigers in Malik Ritche and Cameron Petties.

Ritche set up the go-ahead score for the Tigers late in the third quarter, when he broke through Altus’ offensive line and blocked a punt, then recovered it on the Bulldogs’ 11-yard line.

Four plays later, Petties rumbled his way into the end zone for a one-yard touchdown, giving the Tigers a 20-14 advantage with 4:10 left in the third quarter.

“Honestly the moment was just perfect,” Ritche said about his blocked punt. “I noticed the lineman wasn’t blocking as well as he was earlier so I just took advantage of it. When I stuck my hand up I was just hoping to touch it. Next thing I know it smacked my hand and I just knew I had to jump on it for my teammates. I thank God for letting that moment happen.”

“Whenever Cameron (Petties) scored then my teammates were pointing at me and saying this happened because of you,” Ritche added. “I was quick to tell them they made it happen themselves. It was just great to see us come together and fight like that.”

Just a few minutes earlier, the game had been tied up at 14-14 thanks to Chantz Scurry breaking loose for a 44-yard touchdown run.

Altus used its flexbone offense to precision throughout the evening, giving the ball to multiple players during each possession.

The Bulldogs managed to earn the first score of the evening when Cabe Dickerson scored from three yards out to make it 7-0 with 6:16 left in the first quarter.

Petties though had a response for Ardmore as he tied the game in the second quarter when he pushed his way in from two-yards out with 6:25 left before halftime.

Altus though had a response just before halftime when Daniel Riley broke loose downfield and caught a 35-yard touchdown pass from Jake Vargas to bring the Bulldogs ahead 14-7.

Petties though didn’t just make big plays on the offensive end of the ball.

Late in the fourth quarter, Petties recovered a fumble at the Tigers 37-yard line, which stopped the ensuing Altus drive.

Ardmore managed to stave off one last drive by the Bulldogs as the Tigers moved to 3-0 in district play and 5-1 overall.

“I thought Coach Naylor, who coaches our defense made some great adjustments at halftime,” Ardmore coach Josh Newby said. “We talked to the kids about squeezing on the tackles a little harder and Naylor and the rest of the coaches managed to get everyones attention and make things happen.”

“I’m very proud of the way the kids handled adversity,” Newby added. “We’ve been here before and know what to expect when facing a deficit. Malik’s blocked punt was huge for us. It got the crowd back into the game and he’s always a player who is around the ball and hustles everyday for us. Cameron (Petties) loves the game of football and hates when he has to come out. I’m glad he’s on our team and playing hard for us.”

Ardmore will be on the road Friday night taking on the Western Heights Jets at 7 p.m. from Oklahoma City before facing Del City the next week.