FOX — Just when it looked like overtime was in the cards Friday night, the Fox Foxes played a final ace.

FOX — Just when it looked like overtime was in the cards Friday night, the Fox Foxes played a final ace.

With just 46 seconds left in regulation and a tie game, Foxes quarterback Jimmy Bivings scored a seven-yard touchdown as time expired to give FHS a 42-36 victory over Wilson Friday night at the Fox Den.

With under a minute to play and down eight points, Wilson quarterback Trevor Schaaf found receiver Luke Honea in the end zone on a 20-yard touchdown pass. Schaaf would continue his clutch play on the two-point conversion, connecting with running back Dusty Asbery to bring the game to 36-36 with just seconds remaining in the game.

After Wilson tied up the game, Bivings said he was breathless but he knew he had a job to do.

“I couldn’t breathe, but I knew my team needed me, so I stepped up and took charge and used all my energy for that last drive,” he said. 

“With 50 seconds, when they scored that touchdown, we all kind of got our heads down. I told coach what we were gonna run and we executed perfectly. We did what were supposed to do and of course my line did a great job.”

 On the final play, Bivings sprinted towards the sideline and lept for the pylon, pushing the football across the plane to give the Foxes a 42-36 lead as time expired. 

Bivings carried the ball 34 times for 247 yards and five touchdowns in addition to two fumbles and an interception in the win. 

Fox coach Brent Phelps said he was proud of how his team reacted to early struggles.

“We made a lot of mistakes and we gave up things we shouldn’t have given up, but they overcame,” Phelps said. 

“It’s something I preach in football and life, lots of times things will get you down, but whether you give up and fold is up to you. They stepped up. That means more to me than anything else.”

Phelps added it didn’t hurt having a competitor like Jimmy Bivings leading the team down the stretch.

“It was (Bivings) competitive edge at the end, he saw his opportunity and stepped up,” he said. “But he would be the first to tell you it wasn’t him alone. Those guys maintained blocks and gave him the seems to do what he did.”

Leading up to the final drive, Fox and Wilson traded haymakers throughout the game.

In the first quarter, Bivings gave Fox its first lead of the game, breaking free on a 60-yard touchdown rush, and running back Harley Darling converted the point try to give the Foxes a 8-0 lead.

Wilson would respond on the next drive, with Eagles quarterback Trevor Schaaf scoring on a big rush of his own, carrying the ball 62 yards to the endzone to cut the lead to 8-6.

Later in the first quarter, Wilson took the lead after Schaaf connected with running back Clay Hodges on a 76-yard touchdown pass to give the Eagles a 14-8 lead.

Bivings got his second score of the game on a 15-yard touchdown rush to give the Foxes a 16-14 lead, but on the ensuing kickoff, Wilson’s Chris Grace returned the ball 60 yards for a touchdown to give the Eagles a 22-16 lead.

After a Fox punt, Wilson looked to take control, marching deep into Fox territory.

With the Eagles threatening, Bivings showed off his hands, picking off Schaaf in the endzone to take back the momentum for the Foxes.

But the momentum didn’t last for long. 

After the Foxes were forced to punt, Wilson running back Dusty Asbery broke free for 54 yards, setting up Schaaf for a 8-yard touchdown rush to give the Eagles a 28-16 lead.

Before the halftime whistle blew, Bivings found the endzone again on a 6-yard rush to cut Wilson’s lead to 28-24.

In the second half things got sloppy, with Fox and Wilson trading four consecutive turnovers.

But the defensive play of Fox’s Cymetrik Williams turned the tides in the Foxes direction.

In the span of three plays, Williams forced two turnovers, picking off Schaaf before Bivings threw an interception of his own. 

On WIlson’s first play after the Fox turnover, Williams stripped Schaaf and returned the ball 45-yards for a Fox touchdown, giving the Foxes a 30-28 lead in the third quarter.

In the fourth quarter, the Foxes took an 8-point lead after Bivings found paydirt on a 32-yard touchdown rush, giving Fox a 36-28 lead before Schaaf and the Eagles tied the game up with less than a minute remaining.

Schaaf had 233 yards passing and 26 carries for 153 yards on the ground. 

With the win, Fox improved to (2-6, 2-1) on the season. 

Fox will face the Central High Bronchos (5-3, 3-0) Friday night at 7:30 p.m. in Marlow.

Wison (2-5, 0-3) will face the Ryan Cowboys (6-2, 3-0) Friday night at 7:30 p.m. at Skinny Stewart Stadium in Wilson.