For the first time in three years, the Davis Wolves will be playing football in December.

For the first time in three years, the Davis Wolves will be playing football in December.

Saturday night at 7 p.m. at Moore High School, the No. 4 ranked team in Class 2A will take on Washington with a berth in the state finals on the line.

The winner of this contest will meet either No. 1 Millwood or Alva in the state finals next weekend.

While the wait for a return to the final four has felt like an eternity for a tradition rich program like Davis, the wait has been much longer for Washington.

Saturday night will mark the first time since 2007 the Warriors (11-2) have graced the semifinal stage, after they took care of business in the quarterfinals with a 63-21 drubbing of Commerce.

A 49-0 halftime lead was more than enough cushion for Washington, who allowed senior running back Tyler Stuever to rest the majority of the second half after collecting 118 yards on eight carries with a touchdown.

Sophomore running back Lance Spaulding also had a solid night for the Warriors in the quarterfinals, registering 141 yards with three touchdowns on 13 carries.

“It’s very simple for us this week,” Davis coach Jody Weber said. “We have to tackle their running backs, especially their tailback. Washington is loaded with skill kids. Their athletes who carry the ball are exceptional.”

“Offensively, we have got to possess the ball,” Weber added. “Washington has an explosive offense. During the regular season there would have been a hangover from a game like we had last week. I trust our kids and they have a lot of playoff experience amongst them. We’re not going to give this game away.”

Washington lost its last appearance in the state semifinals in 2007 by a score of 30-23 against Okeene at Wantland Stadium on the campus of Central Oklahoma University in Edmond.

The last time the Warriors won a semifinal game was in 2005 against Velma-Alma, before falling in the finals against Tonkawa. 

Meanwhile, the Wolves had to do everything in their power and then some to earn a place in the semifinals last week.

Despite facing an eight point deficit in the second half, Davis managed to claw its way back from a 21-13 hole to tie the game with No. 2 Holland Hall, eventually winning in overtime thanks to a missed extra point by the Dutch.

The 28-points were the third time this season the Wolves have been held below 30, but the first time this year they had been able to win a game when being held below 30 points.

Davis is in the semifinals for the first time since 2014, when the Wolves completed the second of back-to-back state titles.

Out of the four remaining teams in Class 2A, the Alva Goldbugs have had to wait the longest for a return to the semifinals. AHS will play its first semifinal contest in 68 years Saturday night. 

The last time these two programs met in the postseason was in the first round of the 2011 playoffs when Washington made the trip to Wolf Field. 

Davis would win that contest by a score of 47-7, but lose in the second round at home against Millwood.

The Wolves will be looking for another solid game from quarterback Briston Summers who finished the quarterfinals last week with 56 yards passing in addition to running for 135 yards on 30 carries with a touchdown.