MOORE — With the game tied at 21 in the fourth quarter, and the Wolves offense clicking on all-cylinders, Davis appeared to finally have the stop they needed to pull ahead of the Washington Warriors for good and punch their ticket to the Class 2A State Championship.

MOORE — With the game tied at 21 in the fourth quarter, and the Wolves offense clicking on all-cylinders, Davis appeared to finally have the stop they needed to pull ahead of the Washington Warriors for good and punch their ticket to the Class 2A State Championship. 

But as Washington quarterback Trevor Stuevers’ pass deflected off a Davis defenders hands and into the unexpecting arms of Hank Nixon, that all changed. 

The pass on third and 16 from the Warriors 13 yard line went for 73 yards and two plays later the Washington Warriors took their first lead of the ball game and never looked back, ending Davis’ impressive run in the playoffs 31-21 from Moore Schools Stadium, Saturday.

“Most of the time they were just a little bit better than us, not a lot, but a little” Davis coach Jody Weber said. “We’re going to have to learn to live with this one. We finally get a stop and had them in third and long and they got, really, the only lucky break they had. Most of the breaks, they made. But that was lucky, But that’s this game, I’ve been on the receiving end of some of those breaks and I have to tip my hat off to them. They were better.”

After falling down 28-21, the Davis offense stalled after a pair of incompletions and were forced to punt.

The Wolves needed a quick stop, but Washington marched down the field.

Washington running back Tyler Stuever reeled off a 19-yard rush on first down, and on the next play, running back Lance Spaulding put the ball deep in Davis territory with a 33-yard gain, before the Warriors nailed a 31-yard field goal to make it a two possession game with three minutes left on the clock.

Davis attempted a late rally, but down 10-points, Davis’ wishbone offense was forced to throw the ball downfield as Washington put seven defenders deep in coverage. 

After marching 59-yards,  Washington’s Hank Nixon found himself on the receiving end of another back breaking play for the Wolves, intercepting Briston Summers pass at the 20-yard line and putting the rally to rest. 

While the second half had plenty of offensive fireworks, for the first one and a half quarters it appeared neither Davis' nor Washington’s defense would surrender any points.

Washington blocked a Davis punt and recovered deep in Wolf territory, but after two plays and a massive quarterback sack by Gunner Arms, the Davis defense got off the field with an unblemished scoreboard.

After the momentum of the big defensive stand, Davis coach Jody Weber got exotic. 

With their backs against the wall on the four yard line, Briston Summers helped claw the Wolves into Warriors territory with rushes of 13 and 19 yards,. Then the senior quarterback found receiver Payton Webber on a reverse, but as Webber raced against the grain of the Washington defense, he pulled up and launched a 41-yard bomb to Blake Neal who streaked into the endzone, giving the Wolves a 7-0 lead.

The big play woke up Washington’s offense on the next drive. 

Washington quarterback Trevor Stuever started the drive with a 24 yard rush to swing the momentum in the Warriors direction. Three plays later, the junior quarterback carried it in the end zone from 18-yards out to bring the game even at 7-7.

After a quiet offense half, both Washington and Davis offenses had their way in the third and fourth quarter.

Washington appeared to have the Wolves in a punting situation on the first drive of the second half. But as Devon Gregg pulled in the snap, he took off, carrying the ball 29 yards for a first down. Gregg scored five plays later on a 2-yard touchdown rush to give the Wolves a 14-7 lead.

But after each Davis touchdown, Washington had an answer.

Washington’s Tyler Stuever barreled 25 yards to put the Warriors within striking distance and scored two plays later on a three yard carry to tie the game at 14-14.

Davis responded with points again, taking a 21-14 lead on the next possession.

Devon Gregg continued to be a weapon for Davis’ special teams, returning the Washington kickoff 52-yards to the Washington 33 yard line. 

Briston Summers took advantage of the field position, finding tight end Gunner Arms on a 25-yard fade that put the Wolves on the one yard line, setting up Jared Brown for a 1-yard touchdown rush to push the Wolves ahead 21-14.

But once again, Washington responded, this time in just four plays as the Warriors slashed the Davis defense with rushes of 13, 10, and 29 yards before Spaulding carried the ball 11-yards into the endzone. 

But like most of the second half, Davis looked to be threatening with another touchdown drive, but the Warriors recovered a fumbled pitch which set up the deflected pass that proved to be too much for the Wolves to overcome.

Davis finishes the season 10-3 and 6-0 in district play. 

“How could you be more proud of a bunch of guys that went through all they went through,” Weber said. “Starting out with playing such a tough schedule and taking some pretty hard losses and to come back and get into the state semifinals and beat one of the finest teams (Holland Hall) in the bracket in the quarterfinals.” 

“These guys get it, they just go out and handle their business,” Weber added. “For high school athletics they got it, they got the good out of it that they’re supposed to get, and I got way more good out of it watching these kids grow up.”