DAVIS — During the course of a district season, a win streak can serve as a catalyst for a possible road to the playoffs.

DAVIS — During the course of a district season, a win streak can serve as a catalyst for a possible road to the playoffs.

The Dickson Comets might have laid their own foundation towards that Friday night against Davis.

A 14-point first half sent the Comets on their way, as Dickson recorded a landmark victory over the Wolves 28-13, sending them to fourth place overall in the district 2A-8 standings.

The victory evened the Comets record at 3-3 overall while improving them to 2-1 in district play. 

Meanwhile, the Wolves suffered their fifth straight loss, leaving them at 1-5 overall and 0-3 in district play.

“We knew they were trying to get three to four yards every play like they traditionally do and we had to put them in long yard situations,” Dickson coach Steve Day said. “Overall our defense played great, forcing three turnovers and two pic-sixes, our defensive backs stepped up and made plays.”

On the opening drive of the game, the Comets marched 90 yards downfield to open the scoring 7-0.

Junior quarterback Rusty Beard rushed for 35 yards on the opening drive, and completed two passes.

Dickson tried to catch the Wolves off guard with an onside kick on the ensuing kickoff, but failed to recover.

However, the Comets had another trick up their sleeve in the form of cornerback Keshon Johnson. 

On a 4th and 12 from the Dickson 16-yard line, Johnson stepped in and grabbed an interception, returning it 84-yards for the touchdown, and a 14-0 Comets lead. 

Just before halftime though the Wolves managed to find a groove offensively, with Toby Taliaferro getting Davis on the board with a three-yard touchdown to make it 14-7 going into the locker room.

In the second half, it was the Comets defensive unit getting a crucial turnover which led to points.

With Davis driving inside Dickson territory, the Wolves fumbled the ball at the 28-yard line, where Joseph Bodkins was able to recover the ball, giving possession back to Dickson. 

Rusty Beard would eventually cap off the drive for Dickson with an 11-yard touchdown run to put the Comets up 21-7 in the third quarter. 

Midway through the fourth quarter with the Wolves driving, it was a familiar face for the Comets giving them an insurance touchdown. 

For the second time in the contest, it was Keshon Johnson grabbing an interception, and returning it for a touchdown, giving the Comets a comfortable 28-7 advantage. 

“I was just watching the plays and reading plays,” Johnson said about his interceptions. “I just felt like I was on and healthy, and I came out here doing what I know to do.”

Davis managed to get a late consolation touchdown with 3:33 left in the fourth quarter, but missed the point after attempt. 

Dickson will be back at home Friday night taking on Tishomingo, while the Wolves hit the road for a matchup against Comanche.