SULPHUR — For the first time this postseason Friday night, the No. 2 Sulphur Bulldogs faced a deficit.

SULPHUR — For the first time this postseason Friday night, the No. 2 Sulphur Bulldogs faced a deficit.

However, it was a challenge they were more than willing to face head on. 

After falling behind 10-0 early the Sulphur Bulldogs scored 35 unanswered points during a 7:41 span in the second quarter, which eventually led to a 56-31 victory over the Idabel Warriors at Calvin Agee Field in the Class 3A Quarterfinals.

The Bulldogs will now advance to play the Kingfisher Yellowjackets  at 7 p.m. Friday night with the game taking place at Edmond Santa Fe High School. 

Kingfisher defeated Berryhill 35-15 to advance in their quarterfinal game Friday night. 

 “Idabel played hard tonight,” Sulphur coach Jim Dixon said. “They (Idabel) scare you to death with their combination of speed and size. You just know you never have a game put away with their athleticism. They were well-coached, and they had a good game plan. We adjusted well to what they were doing. That second quarter got the job done for us,  and it changed the momentum quite a bit.”

Idabel (8-4) managed to stun the Bulldogs with 10 first quarter points. 

On the first offensive snap from scrimmage, Idabel quarterback LaQuan Wells hit Jonah Scott with a 48-yard touchdown pass that put the Warriors up 7-0 just 19 seconds into the game. 

Idabel’s next drive also resulted in points with Warriors place kicker Jarrett Bushers nailing a 26-yard field goal to increase the lead to 10-0.

 After being denied in the red zone once in the first quarter, followed by a goal line stand in the second, Sulphur was able to get a lifeline which they used as a springboard to take the lead. 

With the ball sitting at the Idabel one-yard line, Warriors running back Mesiah Block fumbled the ball, which was recovered by the Bulldogs. 

Trey Kiser managed to capitalize on the error by Idabel, as he pushed his way in from one yard out to cut the deficit to 10-7.

Sulphur recorded a second turnover on the Warriors next possession, as the Bulldogs got the ball at the Idabel 28-yard line. 

Five plays later, Kiser scored his second touchdown, this one from six yards out to give the Bulldogs their first lead at 14-10. 

Following a defensive stand by the Bulldogs, Kiser got his third touchdown of the night, this time from four yards out to make it 21-10. 

An Idabel punt following its next possession went to Sulphur’s Tavius McDonald at the Bulldog 30-yard line, which was then returned 70-yards down the sideline for a touchdown and a 28-10 Sulphur advantage. 

Just before halftime, Kiser got his fourth touchdown of the night as he dashed his way 57-yards up the middle to give Sulphur a 35-10 lead going into the locker room. 

“I have never seen a quarter like that in all my years here at Sulphur,” Dixon said. 

“That is the best quarter I’ve been a part of with a Sulphur team. We got a quick wake-up call by Idabel, and the players responded. No one panicked after Idabel’s early lead, and we just stayed with our game plan.” 

“We took advantage of their mistakes and made them pay for them,” Dixon added. 

“Our defense really stepped things up after those early scores. Their focus and intensity turned this game around.”

The Bulldogs took the second half kickoff and drove 74 yards in seven plays with McDonald scoring on a 1-yard run to give Sulphur a 42-10 lead.

Idabel scored on a 68-yard run by Block and then on a 10-yard touchdown pass from Wells to Corbin Cooper to make it a 42-24 game heading to the final 12 minutes.

The Bulldog defense continued to shine in the fourth as they recorded their third turnover of the night. 

A fumble by Wells caused by a hit from Ko Withrow was scooped up by Sulphur’s Chris Keener and returned 15 yards for a touchdown to make it a 49-24 game with 8:19 remaining.  

A 26-yard touchdown pass from Bulldog quarterback Cole Johnson to David Powell ended the Sulphur scoring for a 56-24 lead with four minutes left.

Idabel got one final score with less than a minute left when Wells hit Scott for a 45-yard touchdown pass.

Kiser had 25 carries for 145 yards and four touchdowns to lead the Bulldogs, while McDonald finished with 130 yards on 21 carries and two touchdowns for the Bulldogs against Idabel Friday night.