Vice-Mayor Keith King decides not to seek reelection

During Monday night’s Board of Commissioner’s meeting, Vice-Mayor Keith King announced that he will not be seeking reelection. This came after the board approved a resolution to call an election. City Clerk Ken Campbell explained the resolution.

“This resolution is for the purpose of calling an election like we do every year,” Campbell said. “This year will be for the position of City Commissioner Ward 1, Northwest, and City Commissioner Ward 4, Southeast.”

Currently, Mayor Sheryl Ellis occupies the position in Ward 4 and Vice-Mayor Keith King occupies the position in Ward 1.

After the resolution passed, Commissioner Martin Dyer asked Ellis and King if they would choose to seek reelection and while Mayor Ellis is seeking reelection, Vice-Mayor King explained why he is choosing to step down.

“As you know I have served on this commission for almost nine years now, and I would gladly do another nine years,” King said. “But it gives me great pleasure this evening to say that rather than running for another term, I’m going to give my full support to Beth Windel because I know that she is going to do an exceptional job for Ward 1. I hope everyone gets behind her candidacy.”

For those interested in running for a commission seat, the filing period will be from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., February 4 to 6. The election will be held on April 2, 2019.

After the announcement, the commission discussed other regular business before ending the public portion of the meeting by approving new purchases for the Ardmore Police Department. 

Among the items approved were two new motorcycles for the traffic enforcement unit and a new police forensic lab. Two of the motorcycles currently in use will be traded towards the purchase of the new bikes, but the forensic lab will bring the city’s total to two.

Ardmore Chief of Police Ken Grace explained that the lab has to make regular trips to the OSBI lab, and that there are often situations where two labs could be useful. 

“The officers are waiting for two, three or four hours for the next car to come up, so this way we’ll have two equipped,” Grace said. “So we’ll send the new one up to OSBI and keep the old one here in town. That way we always have one ready to go.”