Coming into his teams district finals game against McLoud, Plainview coach Deon Stevenson knew his team would have a lot of things thrown at them.

Coming into his teams district finals game against McLoud, Plainview coach Deon Stevenson knew his team would have a lot of things thrown at them.

He just didn’t anticipate one of them would come from the Redskins fan section.

The surreal incident, which occurred with 7:13 left in the fourth quarter was just part of a wild night in which the No. 19 Indians managed to rally back and win the district title with a 77-65 victory over the Redskins at the
Plainview Activity

Plainview will now move on in the winners bracket portion of the regional tournament where the Indians will meet Bishop McGuinness Thursday night at 8 p.m. at McLoud High School. 

Moments after the Indians regained the lead at 58-57 with 7:28 left in the fourth, a technical foul was called against McLoud’s head coach.

Infuriated with the decision, he had to be held back by his bench, before a fan from McLoud threw his beverage on the court, landing with a loud bang and causing a 15-minute delay.

The fan was ultimately identified and thrown out of the building by Plainview school officials, but the Redskins would never get any closer the rest of the way in the fourth.

“I just told the guys to stay off the floor first off because we didn’t know how slick the floor was,” Stevenson said about the beverage throwing. “I was more concerned about their safety. The other thing I told them was that we can’t control something like that, and we need to play the right way and not have any type of foolish retaliation.”

Aside from the delay, fans in attendance were treated to a fast paced contest for the better part of the evening.

Plainview briefly trailed in the first quarter, but managed to find its rhythm fairly quickly and eventually earned a 14-8 advantage going into the second.

But the Redskins found their own groove before halftime as McLoud tied the game at 17-17 with 5:29 left in the first half, but couldn’t get any closer than two points the rest of the way, as the Indians took a 39-32 lead into the break. 

Whatever momentum the Indians thought they had going into the third quarter, it was quickly washed away by the Redskins less than five minutes into the frame.

McLoud eventually rallied back from its deficit to lead 48-46 at the 3:21 mark of the third, before taking its biggest lead of the game at 57-52 with 58 seconds left in the third.

Going to the fourth quarter, it was Plainview though still within striking distance at 57-54.

Following the beverage incident, the Redskins were outscored 19-8, and never got any closer than 10 points the rest of the way.

Blake Nowell led the Indians (16-6) with 26 points followed by Cason Dillon with 20 points.

Brock Parham and Taylon Chambers each scored 11 points for Plainview. 

“There were times where we did get out of a rhythm,” Stevenson said. “We made enough plays to win though and that’s what matters. We also had some guys shoot the ball really well tonight so that helped us out a lot.”