OKLAHOMA CITY — With a chance to land on the medal stand in sight, wrestlers from Plainview, Madill and Sulphur all took their shots in the consolation bracket Saturday morning at the state wrestling tournament in Oklahoma City at the Jim Norick Arena.

OKLAHOMA CITY —  With a chance to land on the medal stand in sight, wrestlers from Plainview, Madill and Sulphur all took their shots in the consolation bracket Saturday morning at the state wrestling tournament in Oklahoma City at the Jim Norick Arena. 

In the Class 3A bracket, the Sulphur Bulldogs had three of the four wrestlers they brought to the tournament still alive on the second day. 

In the 106 bracket, Gage Graham was the first to represent the Bulldogs on day two. 

After starting off the tournament in the wrestle-in match on Friday, Graham made it all the way to the consolation semi finals.  

Graham faced Caleb Odell from Blackwell and was unfortunately pinned in the second round, eliminating him from the tournament. 

“Like I was telling Gage the kid he wrestled was 17 years old and Gage is 14 years old, there is a big difference,” Sulphur coach Drew Swartz said. 

“He wrestled as hard as he could, and he is going to keep improving and he will be good. Gage wrestled tough, and he won a match up here. That’s a lot more than some people can say.” 

Trey Kiser entered Saturday still alive in the 182 pound bracket with a chance to finish with a second state medal in wrestling. 

However, Newark’s Austin Peri had other ideas as he pinned Kiser in the second period with the clock winding down. 

“He (Trey) is a perfect example of what hard work does,” Swartz said. “Trey started wrestling in the eighth grade and he is as good as they come. It is pretty amazing to even accomplish what he did, even though he is upset he didn’t place this year, but that is the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.”

The Plainview Indians had two representatives in the 3A consolation bracket on Saturday, in Nick Vercelli and Jeston Gilliam. 

Vercelli battled with Luke Collett, of Checotah, for three rounds trying to advance to the 120 pound consolation final, but was eventually eliminated by a 13-4 decision. 

Vercelli fell behind early after allowing a takedown, but bounced back and gaining a point by escaping late in the first to trail 2-1 after one. 

In the second period, Vercelli had another point added to his total from an escape, but allowed five points to enter the final period trailing seven to two. 

Needing a comeback or a pin to secure his spot in the finals, Vercelli added to his total with two escapes, but could not overcome the deficit. 

In the 195 pound bracket, Gilliam faced Denver Dahlenburg of Hinton. 

Gilliam battled with Dahlenburg for a round in a half, but was pinned late in the second to end his season in the consolation semi finals.

The Madill Wildcats were well represented in the 4A consolation bracket Saturday morning.

At 138, Dylan McCullough battled all weekend. 

After starting in the wrestle-in match, McCullough found his way to the consolation semifinals. 

Wrestling against Trystian Shireman, of Wagoner, the 138 pound bracket proved those wrestling for a place on the stage were the best of the best in Class 4A. 

Unfortunately McCullough’s weekend ended in a 3-2 decision.

The score was 0-0 after the first round. 

McCullough went down 1-0 after an escape late in the second by Shireman. With one period remaining, the two wrestlers battled to the end. 

McCullough tied the score early, but a take down by Shireman put him ahead for good. 

In the 195-bracket, Coty Tweedy also started his state wrestling weekend in the wrestle-in match Friday morning. 

Competing hard all weekend, Tweedy made it to the semifinals to face Ossian Wolf, of Elgin.

Tweedy battled for three rounds, but lost by a 7-4 decision ending his bid to make the consolation finals.

After being taken down early in the first period, Tweedy bounced back with an escape to trail just 2-1 after the first. Things got away from Tweedy in the second. 

After scoring another escape, Tweedy got a takedown and suffered a near fall to trail 6-2 entering the third. 

Tweedy got a take down of his own in the third to cut the lead, but there was not enough time on the clock to complete his comeback.

Having wrestlers make it to the consolation semifinals made Wildcat head coach Jim Love proud of his team. 

Love knows his kids will learn from this experience heading into next season. 

“They did great for us, they are good kids and they worked hard,” he said. 

“They made it to the state tournament which is every kids dream and came a match away from placing.”