High-speed pursuit through Davis ends in arrest, officer being treated for injuries

Sierra Rains
Police car

One individual is in custody and one officer is being treated for injuries following a high-speed pursuit through Davis Tuesday.

At around 12:06 a.m. on March 10, an officer from the Davis Police Department reported receiving a call from Murray County dispatch regarding a black Ford pickup traveling at a speed of nearly 100 mph, according to an incident report from the department.

The officer reportedly located a vehicle matching the description as they approached the intersection of 3rd St. and Main St. in Davis.

The officer then got behind the pickup and began following it until the driver, later identified as 42-year-old Toby Graninger of Ada, eventually turned south from Main St., going the wrong way on a do-not enter.

After the officer activated the emergency lights, Graninger reportedly got back into the correct lanes, traveling south on Highway 77. However, he did not pull over, according to the report.

The officer then activated the sirens and Graninger reportedly accelerated, weaving in and out of the two south bound lanes of Highway 77 and Stadium Drive.

At the intersection of Highway 77 South and Primrose, the officer reportedly observed speeds of more than 90 mph and upon crossing onto the I-35 south bound ramp, two more Davis officers joined in the pursuit.

The initial responding officer was able to get in front of the pickup, keeping Graninger behind him at a speed of around 20 to 30 mph. Graninger reportedly attempted to pass the patrol car by going around in the grass.

However, the three officers made a “rolling wall” with their patrol vehicles so that he could not get back on I-35, according to the report. In between mile markers 49 and 50, Graninger turned west, going down a steep incline towards a wooded area and crashed into a tree.

While approaching the pickup, one of the officers reportedly lost his footing and flipped “head over heels.” The officer was able to get back up, but was later transported to the Arbuckle Memorial Hospital to get stitches for a laceration to his left kneecap.

The other responding officers removed Graninger from the vehicle and placed him under arrest. Based on their interaction with Graninger, it was reportedly determined that Graninger was under the influence of some type of narcotic.

“He was not in the right state of mind. He told us that he did not stop because he was assisting us in maneuvers,” one of the responding officers reported. “He was unstable on his feet and his pupils were dilated.”

Graninger was booked in the Murray County Jail for driving on the left side of the roadway in a no passing zone, driving the wrong way on a one way road, eluding a police officer, speeding 90 mph in a 50 mph zone, driving under suspension and driving under the influence of drugs.

A blood test was performed on Graninger and police are awaiting the results.