As the story unfolds,
start here.
SUBSCRIBE NOW
99¢ for the first month.

Top writer for Fox News host Tucker Carlson resigns amid allegations of racist, sexist posts

Grace Hauck
USA TODAY

The top writer for Fox News host Tucker Carlson has resigned following reports that he posted racist, sexist comments on an online forum.

CNN reported Friday that the writer, Blake Neff, has been using a pseudonym for years to post on AutoAdmit, an unmoderated online platform.

The investigation alleged that Neff responded to a thread started by another user in 2018 with the subject line, "Would u let a JET BLACK congo n****er do lasik eye surgery on u for 50% off?" Neff responded to the post, "I wouldn't get LASIK from an Asian for free, so no," according to CNN.

Neff resigned Friday prior to CNN publishing the story, Fox News confirmed.

According to CNN, Neff also made a series of racist posts in June, including: "Black doods staying inside playing Call of Duty is probably one of the biggest factors keeping crime down" and "Honestly given how tired black people always claim to be, maybe the real crisis is their lack of sleep."

In one post, Neff said that the only people who care about changing the name of the NFL's Washington Redskins are "white libs and their university-'educated' pets."

Fox News host Tucker Carlson

The report also alleged that Neff has maintained a "lengthy thread in which he has derided a woman and posted information about her dating life that has invited other users to mock her and invade her privacy."

Neff joined Tucker Carlson Tonight shortly after it launched on Fox in November 2016, according to a feature story in the Dartmouth Alumni Magazine published this month.

"Anything he’s reading off the teleprompter, the first draft was written by me," Neff said in the feature story.

Neff previously worked at The Hill and The Daily Caller, an online news site co-owned by Carlson.

Carlson also credited Neff in the acknowledgments of his 2018 book, "Ship of Fools."

Fox News leadership condemned Neff's actions in an email to employees Saturday. The company only learned about Neff's "horrendous and deeply offensive" posts on Friday, Fox News Media CEO Suzanne Scott and President and Executive Editor Jay Wallace said in the email.

"We want to make abundantly clear that Fox News Media strongly condemns this horrific racist, misogynistic and homophobic behavior. Neff’s abhorrent conduct on this forum was never divulged to the show or the network until Friday, at which point we swiftly accepted his resignation," the email said.

Carlson was expected to address Neff's posts on his show on Monday night, the email said.

Carlson came under fire this week after he suggested that Sen. Tammy Duckworth, D-Ill., and other Democratic leaders "hate America." 

"You're not supposed to criticize Tammy Duckworth in any way because she served in the military," Carlson said in the opening monologue of his Monday show. "Most people just ignore her. But when Duckworth does speak in public, you're reminded of what a deeply silly and unimpressive person she is." 

Duckworth, who lost both legs in a 2004 helicopter crash during the Iraq War, responded to Carlson by asking if he wanted to "walk a mile in my legs."